The Controversy Behind Similar Prom Dresses

Shown is the 2017 Senior ball dress page and Claire Helmer's dress.

Claire Helmer

Claire Helmer

Claire Helmer, Sports Editor

Junior Prom and Senior Ball are huge events that almost every high school student looks forward too. And as spring dance season approaches, so does the pressure students face to search for the perfect dress.

“You only go to Prom and Ball once so i think everyone deserves their own special and unique dress,” said Cameron Huber (‘17).

Having the same dress as someone else has long been thought of as a disaster. However, this idea is overrated. Sure, taking pictures with someone who has the same dress as you might be a little awkward, but ultimately, it does nothing to impact your experience at the dance.

Despite this, social media pages have been created most years for students to share pictures of their dress.

This year, the Ball Facebook page, AVHS Sr. Ball Dresses 2 017, was started in January by Julia Oltman (‘17), because she was really excited for ball and wanted to allow people to see everybody else’s dresses for the event.

“I don’t think it’s important for everyone to have a different dress; I just think that the Facebook page gives people the opportunity to find unique dresses if they want them and they can have different dresses if they want to. I also think that a lot of girls find prom and ball to be special events and many don’t want to have to deal with a ‘who wore it better’ situation, so the Facebook page helps to limit those moments,” said Oltman.

Juniors, on the other hand, decided to take a different route this year, and started an Instagram page, @avpromdresses18, for juniors to showcase their dresses. But, as clearly stated in their bio, it “is NOT to reserve.”

Bridget O’Sullivan, Julia Wood and I are the Junior Class Officers and we started the prom page to get everyone excited about Prom and to share each other’s dresses. We made it clear in the bio that this page is not for reserving dresses because we thought it didn’t matter if more that one person has a certain dress!” said Molly Murphy (‘18).

Regardless, some students have strategies for buying their dress to ensure that theirs is one of a kind.

“My plan is to go shopping the weekend before ball so that no one has the same dress as me,” said Emma Patten (‘17).

“I try and buy dresses that are on clearance or on sale, or at thrift shops because I know that it’s going to be inexpensive and unique,” said Natalie Roadarmel (‘17).

Although people go to great lengths to find a dress no one else has, sometimes it still doesn’t work out.

“I bought my dress, and put it on the Facebook page first, and then 3 other people got the same dress as me in different colors. But it’s cool, it’s a super pretty dress and I think everyone should get it!” said Hannah Tsui (‘17).

Illustration by Julia Green (’17)

The controversy over dresses has caused tension and conflict among girls for no reason at all. Girls should focus more on having fun and loving how they look in their their dress, not what other people are wearing.