The Reaping of 2016

Students commemorate their celebrities like this art  created by Amador student Elena.

Elena

Students commemorate their celebrities like this art created by Amador student Elena.

Cole Torquemada, Staff Writer

When we see celebrities, we never quite think of their mortality. As long as there’s television, they can live on through our memories. 2016 gave us a real eye opening experience with the deaths of many iconic figures we’ve come to know and love.  With the new year here, we mourn the losses of those who are gone, but never forgotten.

One of the greatest and earliest losses of 2016 was the death of pop figure legend David Bowie. Throughout his career, Bowie wrote and recorded countless hit songs such as Space Oddity, Life on Mars, Let’s Dance, Heroes, and Modern Love. His eccentricity and unique style made him one of the biggest stars of the 70s and 80s.

Not only was he the hero for millions of people, but he was also a hero and inspiration for countless professional musicians such as Lady Gaga, The Killers, U2, The Smiths (Johnny Marr), Madonna, Queen, John Frusciante, Lou Reed and many others. Tributes began surfacing for Bowie such as Lady Gaga’s medley at the 2016 grammy’s as well as Lorde’s cover of Life On Mars at the 2016 Brit Awards. David Bowie’s influence on music and culture is immeasurable and still continues to impact people to this day.

“David Bowie was without a doubt one of the greatest artists this world has ever seen. Everybody’s heard of him, everybody’s listened to him, and everybody has loved him. Bowie will definitely be remembered forever” said Connor Laine (‘18).

Another notable death in the music industry was that of the beloved Prince. His stylish and extravagant personality dazzled audiences across the world. His signature song, Purple Rain, was his most popular one released on the same name album in 1984. There was also a film made that same year using the album as the soundtrack.

Prince’s diverse musical taste of rock, R&B, gospel, and orchestral music helped him get purple rain to number 2 in the US for two weeks. Alongside purple rain, he had many other hits reach the top 100 such as I wanna be your lover, when doves cry, kiss, let’s go crazy, cream and batdance.

Throughout his career, Prince was nominated for 48 awards which help him stay in our memories forever. Between these 48 awards, he won 32 which included the icon award and the lifetime achievement award.

“Purple rain was one of those songs that anyone could listen to. I remember seeing the white house turned on purple lights the night he did, clearly he left a huge impact on the world,” said Zach Hartley (‘18).

“Prince and Bowie were awesome, I still listen to my cd of the rise and fall of ziggy stardust in my car. These artists shaped the way we listen to music, it’s weird to think they’re gone,” said Jack Naughton (‘18).

These artists were two of the biggest music icons to have shaped the industry throughout the decades. Their style can be seen as an influence to many artists and they will continue to leave an impact for years to come.