Trump Making Headway

Trump+signs+his+first+executive+order+to+begin+the+process+of+repealing+Obamacare+
Trump signs his first executive order to begin the process of repealing Obamacare

Essa Chawla, Staff Writer

On November 9th, 2016, President Donald Trump won the presidential election against Hillary Clinton by winning 306 of the electoral college’s 538 votes against Clinton’s 232. Throughout his campaign, Trump vowed to cancel Obama’s policies on immigration, ask Congress to repeal the restrictions on guns, withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership, and, most infamously, build a wall to prevent illegal Mexican immigrants from coming into the nation.

Since he was inaugurated, a lot has changed in America.

In his first eleven days in office, Trump has already followed through with one of his promises: he withdrew America from the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a trade partnership between twelve countries, including the U.S., Japan, and Mexico, that cuts tariffs and encourages trade across the Pacific Ocean.

“[Trump] just doesn’t seem like he is fully comprehending what he’s doing. He’s just going off… I think that [Trump] is just undoing everything Obama did” said Elise Allari (‘18).

Trump has also given the “green light” on the construction of the Keystone XL and Dakota Pipelines. Former president Obama and his administration had decided not to continue this construction because of the environmental issues that came with the construction.

In trying to focus on more nationalist goals, President Trump has also decided to put a ban on international abortion counseling, whereby the United States will not provide birth-control to people over-seas who cannot afford it.

“Since [women over-seas] can’t get medically approved abortions, they are going to resort to more desperate measures to attain an abortion that are harmful” said Wendy Su (‘19).

Additionally, looking at the president’s website, it was noticed that under the “Issues” tab, “LGBTQ rights” and “Global Warming ” were taken away.

“It’s terrible how President Trump believes that LGBTQ rights are not a priority; that’s a problem… It’s his job as the president to address the issue and work with others to solve the problem. Instead of building walls and separating people from one another, we should be spreading love” said Nidhi Patel (‘19).

Most controversially, Trump has also decided to implement a 90-day ban on the immigration of seven Muslim-majority countries, including Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Iran, Libya, and Somalia. President Trump hopes that through this executive order the amount of terrorist-related crimes will decrease. However, questions have arisen as to whether or not this is constitutional.

“I think that the immigration laws that Trump has put into place are unconstitutional… they’ve been challenged in many state courts, and there’s a lot of pushback from Republicans and Democrats. But, I don’t think that his immigration plan will last very long… Trump has successfully fooled the nation into think that he is Republican, but I think he just wants to control people’s lives and scare [them] with this plan” said Aryan Barik (‘19).

If ISIS is gone, I will be happy” said an anonymous Trump supporter.

“I agree with Donald Trump’s policy on immigration because I believe it’s vital to our country’s well-being to protect our borders. I would compare it to owning a house… You have to ensure that you know who is coming and leaving, and you don’t [have] people coming and leaving as they please” said Will Bosse (‘20).

Though some students are fearful as to what Trump will be able to do with all of the power he has, others are excited to see the new changes being made.

“I’m concerned about [Trump’s] apparent lack of introspection. I heard him announce this morning that he believes that torture is a viable way of questioning… and even though I’m not in the intelligence field I know that confessions gathered through torture are unreliable. And even if they weren’t, it feels completely unethical to me. I just don’t understand how he is arriving at his policy decisions” said Ms. Sklar, a freshman and sophomore English teacher.

“I believe that Trump’s morals and most of his ideas are valid, and [they] may be what our country may need. Although the steps he take can be a little immature […] I am willing to give him a shot and hope America gives him one too. He deserves it” said Matthew Kenning (‘20).

“I don’t think [Trump’s] policies are right, and I hope this doesn’t cause America to go backward on the progress we made during Obama’s presidency” said Kaitlin Cartwright (‘18).

Though Trump has been busy in the White House, only time will tell what toll his new policies will take.