The State of the Union- Much President, Very Official

Good luck casting your vote this year!

Good luck casting your vote this year!

Cathrine Lilja, Photo Editor

With our Election Day on the horizon, it’s time to talk about who will be president of the United States. After all it’s not like the media has been covering it all the time or anything like that. Quick recap of the Presidential Race- Secretary of State Clinton versus… Businessman Donald Trump? Is that a title? And what does a former Secretary of State even do? File the President’s paperwork?

The real question is why should you care? I have heard plenty of threats from students, if Donald Trump wins this, if Donald Trump wins that.

“If Donald Trump wins, my family and I are actually moving to France. We will be getting new identities” said Elise Allari (‘18).

The reality is, if Donald Trump wins, you’ll be fine, calm down… unless you’re a Mexican fleeing from customs officers of course. Your life isn’t over no matter who becomes President, the worst they can do is blow up a fairly large portion of the existing Planet Earth and talk about it on a private email server.

Of course the election is important, of course we may get into a World War or two depending on the results, but I just want to assure the poor concerned students of our school that they won’t drop dead on Election Day if Trump becomes President.

“People should be less worried about the results of this election and making it into a big deal- this country has survived a lot worse. Just think about it this way- if Donald Trump blows up America you won’t have to deal with him anymore!” says Meg Shriber (‘17).

Donald Trump fans call for Hillary Clinton to be put in jail for her private email server.

And sadly that does seem to be the general consensus of some students here, because of Pleasanton’s happily liberal community, but in some places in America, if Hillary Clinton becomes President somehow I don’t think everyone will be happy with that.

Of course there are also the few that actually follow the candidates for their issues and not just because of that happy feeling they get when it comes to mob-rule.

“I don’t support either Hillary and Trump on account of both their policies and personalities. For Trump, his policies are completely unrealistic and his personality is not the character of a President. For Clinton, her entire career fits the presidential position, so she will do a decent job, but with the emailing issue coming out no one can trust her any more. Her policy isn’t revolutionary or special and she won’t change the problems the country is facing” said Wonjoon Lee (‘18).

Ouch.

Despite hatred on many fronts, Clinton is ahead in polls with college educated men and women. To those white men without college educations that Trump is doing so well in polls with, his immigration policy is probably their favorite part. Apparently all those illegal immigrants are taking the types of jobs that these voters want.

Since everything in politics goes back to Russia, the Russians are now backing Mr. Trump as well, by exposing certain questionable things said by Hillary Clinton, though I personally can’t understand why people are judging her friends so much. So what if she has some Wall Street buddies, it’s not like any of her policies have to do with taxing the one-percenters, right? Right?

“I don’t think Hillary Clinton is trustworthy, she doesn’t know what’s going on, I feel like she’s just getting everything from her husband- who was president” said Lacy Modlin (‘19).

Voters are stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to their candidates for President this year.

Of course, since the Russians have been brought up, the government might as well just roll with that, and use them to explain attempted hacks on voting systems. It really is easier just to blame the Russians after all, it is their fault that we’re in the Cold War. Oh wait… that ended twenty years ago? Are you sure?

“I think Hillary Clinton will win, just because Trump has thrown himself under the bus, and people are starting to realize all the things he says and does are actually really contradictory” said Brenda Cortes  (‘17).

As polls stand, Secretary Clinton is winning, although don’t tell Trump that, you may be sued- either when he becomes President or on Trump TV. Personally I’m just anticipating what pantsuit Hillary Clinton will be wearing on Election Day.